Hours of Operation
The Loeb Visitors Center is open year around at varying hours. Click to view the Current Schedule of Synagogue Tours and Hours that the Loeb Visitors Center Exhibits are Open. You may wish to allow extra time to enjoy a leisurely stroll through adjacent Patriots Park, a beautifully landscaped garden honoring Jewish patriots of the Revolutionary War.
The tour schedule may vary due to Jewish holidays, ceremonial occasions and special events. Additional tours may be scheduled for holiday weeks and cruise ship dockings.
When Touro Synagogue is operating as a House of Worship, the Loeb Visitors Center is closed and there are no synagogue tours.
Designed by renowned colonial architect Peter Harrison and dedicated in 1763, Touro Synagogue is considered one of the most architecturally distinguished buildings of 18th century America. Designated a National Historic Site in 1946, it serves as home to Congregation Jeshuat Israel and each year greets thousands of visitors who come to hear its remarkable story.
Located between the Visitors Center and Touro Synagogue, Patriots Park commemorates the significant roles played by Jews in the development of the United States of America. It was created in the 1970s on the land directly beside the synagogue, but outside of the Touro wall. Jewish individuals, whose actions and influence played a significant role in early American history and the Revolutionary War, are honored. During the park’s construction, each of the patriot states was invited to nominate the honoree who now represents them.
Adjacent to the main exhibition hall is the Barney House (The Loeb Visitors Center Annex). The history of this property can be traced back to 1702, when Jonathan Barney purchased the land and built a small two-story home. By the 1750s the house had been expanded to fourteen rooms with a gambrel-styled roof. The house was restored to its 1757 configuration and became part of the Loeb Visitors Center.
Colonial Jewish Burial Ground
Four blocks from the Visitors Center on Touro Street is the old burial ground for the congregation of the Touro Synagogue, immortalized in Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s poem “The Jewish Cemetery at Newport” and Emma Lazarus’s response to Longfellow, “In the Jewish Synagogue in Newport.” Among those buried here are Abraham and Judah Touro.